[Scons-dev] D Tooling

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Oct 31 15:15:39 EDT 2012

In various conversations over on the D lists it seems that the
traditional C/C++/Fortran model of compile each file individually then
link them together will work for D but is not the best strategy. Instead
the model of submitting all D files as source along with any C/C++
object files to a single compile/link is far better ­– both for
compilation and optimization and executable size. This was a direction
I was going anyway, but it still means solving the smart_link problem
that the current D tooling has.

Any news on the refactoring of that?

In the interim I'll push on with getting this source oriented model as
the canonical approach. This does not lead to the Java problem since
there is no creation of unpredictable files during compilation.

Although no Windows developer has stepped up, we do have some Windows
tester people stepping up.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder