[Scons-dev] Issue 2869 - Versioned shared libraries

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 14:24:32 EDT 2012

Hi Rob,

just had a quick look at your changes...thanks a lot for taking care of
this issue.

On 25.10.2012 06:09, Managan, Rob wrote:

> I want to get some input on this issue. I created a fork for this at

> https://bitbucket.org/managan/scons_soname and put Eric Raymond's code

> into Environment.py that added the methods VersionedSharedLibrary and

> VersionedSharedLibraryInstall.

> We could just create the sym links for any library whose name includes a

> 3 digit version number like libtest.2.5.4.so or libtest.dylib.2.5.4.

> Is that rare enough that it is OK to just do it or what do people

> think about how to roll this behaviour into the main methods?

> Another way to say this is: what should the user interface be??

Your suggestions are fine with me, this should be what most users
want...and like this, they have it at their fingertips. +1 from me. ;)

For keeping everything ultra-flexible, you might want to take the
following into consideration:
I'd like to see the code for detecting "this is the name of a versioned
shared lib" and spitting out the basename and
major/minor numbers encapsulated in a small function. The default
behaviour, as defined by you so far, is definitely good enough to go.
Although the RPM docs try to remind people that the "x.y.z" numbering is
not a convention, it can be seen as one in current practice, at least
from my angle. But for those weird cases someone might come up with in
half a year or so, it would be cool if I could override the "versioned
lib detection" with my own code for a single Environment...(e.g. using a
no-op function to suppress any further actions, like adding symbolic
links, for a versioned lib).
This doesn't have to be user-friendly, it should somehow be possible.

Just my 2 cents.