[Scons-dev] D Tooling restart

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sat Oct 20 12:01:32 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 16:27 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> […]

> > The current problem is that the linker mods for D break normal usage on

> > Windows (even when D is not installed), not just the tests. This can

> > surely be fixed, but without a Windows box it's hard for Russel to work

> on

> > that.

> I am beginning to get the feeling that the whole linker set up is very

> "Heath Robinson" :-(

or as we'd say in the States, Rube Goldberg. I'll try to spend some time
today with the failing D linker additions and see what they're trying to
accomplish, and see if we can't put in place a system to make it easier to
make those types of changes (additions, substitutions, whatever).

> I also think the D tools are driving a coach and horses through it in a

> way that fails, even on Linux and OS X. The problem is that the C, C++,

> and Fortran toolchains have grown up together and are very complex

> internally. D has been tacked on the side and isn't integrated in the

> same way that Fortran and C++ are to the C base.

Indeed, if I can figure a way to make even those tools less hard-wired I
will try (so D and the other compilers can be on more of an even footing).

If you could perhaps send me a couple of sample D compile/link command line
examples (not even working, just so I can see how the compile/link steps
look), that would be great.