[Scons-dev] Mercurial and the current SCons workflow are incompatible?

Martin Geisler martin at geisler.net
Thu Oct 18 14:31:05 EDT 2012

William Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com> writes:

> Martin,

> On Oct 14, 2012, at 10:40 PM, Martin Geisler <martin at geisler.net> wrote:

>> Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com> writes:

>> This option 3 should be the safest: you mark the head (8764000) as

>> closed locally and push to Bitbucket. You can then make a new commit

>> From somewhere good (f461304) and that will be it. I've done that

>> here:

>> https://bitbucket.org/mg/scons/changesets

>> The closed head is hidden from 'hg heads' by default and if a branch

>> has nothing but closed heads, then the branch itself is hidden from

>> 'hg branches'. That's all there is to this --close-branch mechanism.

> Could you list the commands to do this. (none of use are super

> knowledgable on mercurial (yet:))?

I'm glad to see that Gary figured it out!

>> Rewriting public history all depends on how many people you expect to

>> annoy... if you get 10 pull requests per week and those people would

>> need to recreate some work if you strip the Bitbucket repo, well then

>> you might want to avoid it. If you get 1 pull request per week and if

>> most contributors read this list, well then go ahead.

> Our pull request volume is usually ~1-3/week. If we do the strip, then

> we would need to ask all forks to do the same if they'd already

> merged?

Yes, exactly. This is basically the key point that makes it hard to
rewrite (or delete) public history -- it's spread beyond your control.

If you do try to delete some history anyway, then you need to run around
and stamp it out everywhere. That can be done in a company where you
know where all the clones are, but it's normally considered too
cumbersome for an open source project.

--
Martin Geisler