[Scons-dev] Mercurial and the current SCons workflow are incompatible?

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Thu Oct 18 09:15:35 EDT 2012

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:32:46 +0100
Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> (*) Every day I use Mercurial and Git in anger, the more I don't like

> Mercurial and the more I prefer Git – even though Git sucks, it sucks

> in ways I can cope with.

Although I I haven't been hit by Git in my simple daily usage, I must
say that I moved (for all of my own stuff) to Fossil considering that
if it's good-enough for Sqlite project, it should be for me as well.

Here is nice quote from the Richard Hipp (author of Fossil
& Sqlite) which justifies my decision nicely:

"My argument goes like this: Every developer has a fixed number of "brain
cycles" to use on any given day. Some of this brain-energy must be
expended for overhead, such as finding ones way to the coffee machine, or
operating the version-control system (VCS). The fewer brain-cycles one has
to spend on the overhead functions, the more there are available for us in
writing code.

The goal of Fossil is to require fewer brain-cycles. Fossil isn't
perfect. I'm sure there are things that can be done so that it requires
less effort. But I believe it is better than monotone, bzr, or hg, and way
better than git.

Of all of the VCSes out there today, surely Git requires more daily
brain-cycles than any other. I'm not talking about just the learning-curve
here. Git requires more thought and attention even after you know it
well. And that extra thought and attention that you devote toward
operating Git could be better spent working on your project."

Maybe some food for thought for SCons devs...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The senses are so strong and impetuous, O Arjuna,
that they forcibly carry away the mind even of a man