[Scons-dev] Mercurial and the current SCons workflow are incompatible?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Oct 14 12:17:14 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 16:10 +0200, Thomas Berg wrote:
[…]

> have run into this too. When a branch is merged prematurely, and

> rewriting history isn't an option, the solution is to "revert" the

> merge on the main branch, and then "revert the revert" on the branch

> where you want the changes back for further development. Sounds

> complicated, but It simply means you resubmit the changes that were

> reverted, on a suitable branch. Usually this is easy, unless there

> have been conflicting commits in the mean time.

The problem in this case is that reverting the revert appears not
sensible for a repository that is supposed to then generate pull
requests to the mainline :-(( And using a branch branch for feature
development is not a good idea with Mercurial. :-(((

I think the question here is whether this situation merits some form of
rewriting history on a published repository.

Clearly it is simpler and easier to annoy SCons_T_Tooling users than
SCons users, and I can see a way of achieving the needful by exporting
the diffs rather than the changesets and reapplying them to a new fork
of the mainline. The problem is though that there may still be conflicts
trying to reapply the resultant changesets to the mainline due to the
backout commit.

Overall, I think the simplest thing to do here is to rewrite SCons
history to remove the D commit and backout and make sure everyone with
write authority retools themselves to avoid recommitting the D-related
bits. OK this will annoy anyone with a SCons fork, but I think it may be
better to do that than leave the problem in the repository.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder