[Scons-dev] Mercurial and the current SCons workflow are incompatible?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Oct 14 06:32:46 EDT 2012

Gary,

I understand you backing out of the commit of the D stuff due to Windows
problems. However because of the way Mercurial seems to do things, this
appears to have completely broken the D tool development capability. If
we had been using Git there would not have been a problem(*).

To backout, Mercurial doesn't remove a changeset (which is what Git
does), it adds a new changeset undoing the commit. This means that I can
no longer merge the mainline tip into the D_Tooling fork to ensure a
good pull request in the future, since that will just delete all the D
tooling support.

I am assuming then I have to take a new fork of mainline and reimpose
the change sets over the backout to create D tooling fork – which as a
workflow completely sucks. Not to mention adding more and more replica
commits to the repository. Given what is possible with Git, this
situation with Mercurial really sucks.

Unless, of course, someone understands Mercurial better than I and knows
how to fix this and create a sane workflow.

Or perhaps we have to ask Martin Geisler to give us some more advice?

How do the Python folks cope with this sort of thing?

(*) Every day I use Mercurial and Git in anger, the more I don't like
Mercurial and the more I prefer Git – even though Git sucks, it sucks in
ways I can cope with.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder