[Scons-dev] symlink examples for next Parts drop

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Tue Nov 27 10:20:06 EST 2012

So at the moment I don't try to handle a directory, I personally have concerns about certain behavior, so I left this to round two of fixes to this code. However the person here that I task to write this, believes that there should be no real different from the user point of view, ie the difference can be hidden, and we probably don't need a SymbolicDirLink node etc... we only really care if the linkto value of the node is a Dir or File when we try to create the symlink on disk. I am leaning this way this way myself, but am not 100% committed that this is true yet.

So more examples.

Adir=env.Dir('A')
Nodes=env.SymLink("dirlinktoA",Adir)
env.CCopy('#foo',Nodes+[Adir]) # note we want to copy Directory A as well!

this would make a directory

foo/
dirlinktoA # symlink that points to A
A/
<Whatever is in A>

This works on Linux I believe.. but on other systems link windows this does not work at the moment. The reason is that under the covers the API to do this on windows requires an argument to say if the link is to a directory or a file. At the moment the code assumes a File.

What I think needs to be clear and what I keep bumping against, is the idea that I am going to copy a directory as a symlink and copy the files in this directory into the symlink directory as symlink to the original file. This is something you don't do, and is why I make a big deal the Symlink is a File node type with the base class being a File, and the name being FileSymbolicLink. You would be amazed how many Linux people mess this up at first, before they realize why that was "stupid" once they remember that the directory is container, and the symlink point to container ( and as such there is no need to copy stuff into the container from the container). Because of this I am a little unsure of the directory issue in the current design.. only because I have lacked the cycles to think it all the way through for these cases. ( I have been busy getting my start up time for a 100+K node project with 1000 different parts down to 20 seconds from the 2+ minutes on rebuilds.[ and that was down from the 5 to ten minutes it can take with raw scons logic]) I get a little paranoid on subject like this, and want make sure the design can change in reasonable direction, as I have found that project like libraries and build tools can get used in way that are hard to foresee. I do believe what we got ( minus the issue on windows with directories) is probably correct, and the idea of needing different node type for the symlinks is probably not needed, but if it is the node is named to make it easy to define a directory symlink type, etc...

Does this answer your questions?
Jason