[Scons-dev] SConstruct processing order

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:55:10 EST 2012

Hello,

I am reading http://scons.org/wiki/SconsProcessOverview containing
description of how SCons processes SConstruct. I cite it here:

Read SConstruct as a Python script:
# Default Environment object is created.
# Tools do their checks and modify the Environment object.
# Regular Python code is executed as usual.
# SConscript() calls cause referenced SConscript files to be
# read/executed immediately.
# Methods of Environment object are used to update the dependency
# tree and manipulate SCons state.

Can anybody confirm that it works exactly as described?
The question I ask is because SCons tries detecting Visual Studio on
Windows even if I don't use C++ compiler and SConstruct is empty.

Should the Tools do their checks after they are actually used in dependency
tree?
--
anatoly t.