[Scons-dev] SCons building with MS Visual C++10 on 64-bit Windows.

Kyle J Strand Kyle.Strand at beckman.com
Fri Jun 15 12:48:55 EDT 2012

I'm not sure--it actually seems like a poor assumption to me to think that
all (or even most) users with 64 bit host architectures probably want to
target (exclusively) 64 bit architectures, and as previously noted, the
error SCons gives when it doesn't find a 64-bit compiler installed is not
really very helpful at all. This was one of the first issues I ran into
when trying to use SCons, and I honestly think I just got lucky in
figuring out early on that I could fix it by specifying TARGET_ARCH or
installing 64-bit compiler components.

Kyle Strand, Software Intern
Beckman Coulter, Inc., Life Sciences Division
4862 Innovation Drive, Fort Collins, Colorado, 80525
(970) 204-7036

"Kenny, Jason L" <jason.l.kenny at intel.com>
Sent by: scons-dev-bounces at scons.org
06/15/2012 10:23 AM
Please respond to
SCons developer list <scons-dev at scons.org>

SCons developer list <scons-dev at scons.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Scons-dev] SCons building with MS Visual C++10 on 64-bit Windows.

I recall chiming in on this. As I help a bit with this rewrite.

I honestly found it better to be precise and error out if that is not the
case. The difference is for example in the Parts addon you would say this:

Scons mytarget

Just like you would with scons. The difference is that this builds 64-bit
on a 64-bit system and 32-bit on a 32-bit system. If the compiler is not
installed you get this type of message:

scons: *** Version of 10 of MSVC not found for target win32-x86_64. Found
version are ['9.0']
File "C:\Users\jlkenny\code\parts\parts\__init__.py", line 7, in <module>

As in this case the system does not have vc 2010 64-bit install, but it
does have 9 versions.

If you want to build 32-bit you would say:

scons --target=x86 mytarget

and it would work. If I then want to do a 32-bit vc 9 you would say:

scons --target=x86 --tool-chain=cl_9

The main point here is that while it is great the scons tries to find a
compiler, I don't believe it should try to cross build for you
automatically. That part should be clear.

Given the current SCons code the user should be able to say:

scons mytarget TARGET_ARCH=x86

and get a 32-bit build vs a 64-bit one.

Jason

The server made the following annotations

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.