[Scons-dev] Road Map and Tests Architecture

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Thu Jun 14 14:29:36 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> Is there a timetable for the next releases, bug fix and minor?  I really

> must get the D tool updated a bit compared to the current state.  The

> last pull request was rejected for lack of new tests – which is not

> entirely unreasonable. My problem of the minute though is that it is not

> clear what the right test structure is for a pull request.

Other pull requests simply add tests into the test/ subdir, which
works well for core stuff. Not so well for things that are both in
the core and separate though.

> Dirk's "separate tool package" test system works well, but this is not

> the test framework used by core tools.

I'm more than happy to integrate that -- let me know when you and Dirk
have something ready.

>  I guess I am having a "being

> thick" period and so need some guidance as to how to structure tests to

> avoid duplication so that a single test suite can work in separate

> package mode and core mode.

Once we have the "separate tool package" test system integrated, will
this make your questions above evaporate (or at least become simpler)?
In the meantime, my only experience is with tools that are part of the
core, so that's all I can recommend. I don't think you're being
thick, I just think you have an unusual development methodology (not
that that's bad -- it's one which we should try to support better).