[Scons-dev] SCons building with MS Visual C++10 on 64-bit Windows.

Edward d'Auvergne edward at nmr-relax.com
Thu Jun 14 05:26:17 EDT 2012

Hi,

I have been using scons for building my GPLed software
(http://www.nmr-relax.com) for a long time, but I recently noticed
that system admins are having a nightmare compiling and installing my
software on MS Windows! Scons can not find the 'cl' command to
compile the modules:

"cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

This is for a 64-bit Windows install with MS Visual C++ 2010
installed. It seems that the only solution for this is given at
http://code.google.com/p/v8/wiki/BuildingOnWindows, in that you need
to type out on the command line:

scons env="PATH:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\Common7\Tools,INCLUDE:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0\VC\include;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Include,LIB:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0\VC\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib"

This is obviously for the 2009 version. I can't seriously ask all sys
admins to type this just to install my software (the software is
written in Python with C modules, and often these C modules must be
recompiled under Windows due to Python/numpy/etc. version mismatches).
Is there a reason why scons cannot automatically find these paths,
the way it used to be able to?

Cheers,

Edward