[Scons-dev] Supefluous tempfiles used for DLLs

Kyle J Strand Kyle.Strand at beckman.com
Thu Jul 5 18:04:30 EDT 2012

It appears to me that whenever SCons builds DLL using a link command that
exceeds the length of $MAXLINELENGTH, it makes a tempfile and uses it to
perform the link command as expected, but then makes a second tempfile
with the exact same content that never gets used. Here's sample output:

Using tempfile c:\users\kjstrand\appdata\local\temp\tmpnrlhqp.lnk for
command line:
cl /Fobuild\test.obj /c src\test.cpp /TP /nologo /DLIB_PACK_EXPORT
cl @c:\users\kjstrand\appdata\local\temp\tmpnrlhqp.lnk
Using tempfile c:\users\kjstrand\appdata\local\temp\tmpzj9cph.lnk for
command line:
cl /Fobuild\test.obj /c src\test.cpp /TP /nologo /DLIB_PACK_EXPORT

The second tempfile, tmpzj9cph.lnk in this case, appears nowhere else in
the output for this run. This is the behavior I observe for every DLL
build using a tempfile. Oddly enough, though, I don't observe this when
static libs are built. Is this actually a bug, or does SCons actually need
that second tempfile for some reason? Of course, this doesn't seem like a
hugely important bug, but I figured it would be worth asking about.

Kyle Strand, Software Intern
Beckman Coulter, Inc., Life Sciences Division
4862 Innovation Drive, Fort Collins, Colorado, 80525
(970) 204-7036
The server made the following annotations

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.