[Scons-dev] Extensions to the Tool subsystem...

Managan, Rob managan1 at llnl.gov
Thu Dec 20 12:51:34 EST 2012

I wanted to weigh in with a path related issue that came up in the LaTeX
tools.

My question is where does Scons stand these days on the issue of paths and
not using the whole user environment by default?

For Macs, the Latex tools were rarely on the default paths that Scons
searched and therefore you had to create an Environment that included
os.environ's path. This was a real pain since most of the test/TEX/*
files did not do thatŠ So what I came up with and is in the code base now
is to add to the path the directories that the system adds to its path for
installed features like Latex and X11. We did this because Mac OSX has a
standard file/directory (/etc/paths and /etc/paths.d/*) that lists
directories that get added to the system path.

Is there a similar set of paths on Windows that we should add to the
default? Or is there a place to look for a path when initializing a
specific tool that needs a given executable or set of executables?

I think is one issue that needs work as we discuss tool initialization.

Rob Managan email managan at llnl.gov
LLNL phone: 925-423-0903
P.O. Box 808, L-095 FAX: 925-422-3389
Livermore, CA 94551-0808