[Scons-dev] A challenge

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Fri Dec 14 11:12:43 EST 2012

Is this more of an issue that there are some compilers that act like sudo build systems, and that to best use them a system as to understand internal stuff the tools may do to do certain actions. For example C# can do a lot of stuff for as well, you can say build all *.cs file in the directory of below in to a DLL, or in you can build each C# file separately in to a "object" like file and then link them together. Depending how you are coding the first case makes it easy to have a simple one line command to be a DLL, the later makes it easy to mix languages such as VB, F#, C++(.net), C#, etc.. into a single DLL.

For what I have seem of Java, it tries to be more like sudo build system, in which you say here are all the stuff you may need to build something, and it does the hard work of loading and compiling stuff in the correct order and dealing with special named files it may generate.

Jason