[Scons-dev] A challenge

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Dec 14 02:47:34 EST 2012

Hans Dockter and I were chatting at Groovy & Grails eXchange 2012
yesterday, in particular about the coming C and C++ support in Gradle.
It seems right for there to be a challenge SCons vs Gradle building C++
code.

Obviously SCons wins in the LaTeX, Fortran, D, etc. arena since Gradle
has no capability there. Gradle clearly wins in the Java, Groovy, Scala,
Kotlin, Ceylon space as SCons Java support is just, well let's be
honest, not up to it – due to conflicts between the way Java is built
and the SCons internal model which is C oriented.

So the question is what is the most suitable challenge that we can
arrange for say late 2013? (So that we can give results at Groovy &
Grails eXchange 2013.)

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder