[Scons-dev] SConstruct processing order

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Tue Dec 4 09:29:30 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>wrote:

> You could, I guess, have it speculatively register the Program() builder

>> and, when it's called, do the detection and if VS isn't present throw

>> some kind of error, but without a bunch of infrastructure changes that

>> would allow it to say "Hey, MSVS isn't present, try MinGW", that

>> situation basically be the same as the current one.

> That's not good. =) I thought it should work this way. Does multiple tools

> provide the same Program() builder? And who wins if both are present? And

> if I want to adjust the order? And how can I add my rules? And is this

> documented?

> I imagined that for every documented *core* SCons builder like Program()

> there is a list of alternatives tools, who challenge over the right to be

> executed and "Hey, MSVS isn't present" is just what happens behind the

> scene. But you say it is not the case and every tool just pushes its own

> builder. And who wins if multiple tools push the same Program() into

> environment?

This is one of the most interesting changes I'd like to make in SCons --
how tools and toolchains are defined and used.
There was a lot of discussion a couple of years ago,
http://www.scons.org/wiki/PlatformToolConfig and
http://www.scons.org/wiki/PlatformToolConfigAlt capture some ideas. (The
"Alt" one is mine, so of course I favor that one :-) )