[Scons-dev] scons terminating silently

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Mon Aug 27 06:21:22 EDT 2012

I think I know have a handle on this.

My SConscript is calling env.Subst before the main build process starts. This doesn't offhand seem to be a particularly wrong thing to do. I think it's not unrelated to another problem I have, as our C++ include path and defiens are different to our C ones, and our C++ objects are called with
env.StaticObject(blah, CPPDEFINES = env['CXXDEFINES'], CPPPATH = env['CXXPATH'] + env['CPATH'])
whereas our C ones are called thus:
env.StaticObject(blah, CPPDEFINES = env['CDEFINES'], CPPPATH = env['CPATH'])

and if I change Subst.py at line 444 to just raise the exception, with my previously mentioned broken import:

def _concat_dict(blah):
from SCons.Defaults import _concay

env['_concat'] = _contact_dict

Then the stack trace goes back via bits of Subst to a env.StaticObject call.

So, basically, Subst 'does things' to any exceptions raised during processing, and this calls scons to fail silently. Please could this be fixed. I'm not knowledgable enough to determine whether or not the change I did is at all safe.

env.Subst can under the right circumstances throw a BuildError. I think it's related to the code at lines 444 and / or 666 which translates any raised exception into a BuildError.

As this is happening when reading the SConscript file, this gets caught in Main.py, which promptly prints nothing at all and exits quietly.