[Scons-dev] Branching/cloning policy

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Thu Aug 9 13:58:38 EDT 2012

On 09.08.2012 19:39, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Russel Winder<russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

>> My worry with the single repository with default a mirror and a named

>> branch is that in order to process any pull requests you have to accept

>> the presence of the named branch in the mainline repository?

> That is true. Mercurial branches are permanent and contagious. The

> branch a commit was created on is recorded as part of that commit, so

> anywhere that commit is merged to must contain that branch. For

> feature branches, that could be seen as a good thing (an extra bit of

> useful metadata). But it is worth remembering.

I'd say that in this case it is perfectly reasonable to use a named
branch for all the "D" development work. Just like the signature
refactoring, or a release branch, it should stand on its own since
you're probably touching a lot of SCons' guts.
The "Java improvements" (if they should ever happen) would be a fine
candidate too.

Just my 2 cents,