[Scons-dev] SCons and the D tool

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Aug 8 10:54:50 EDT 2012

Currently D language support in integral to the SCons core, almost, but
not quite, on a par with C++ and Fortran. The dmd tool only deals with
the DMD or GDMD even though there is GDC and LDC. The problem here is
that D needs to be integrated into the smartlink system of the link
tool. The current dmd tool tries to hack around things but fails. Trying
to develop dmd, gdc and ldc tool as separate from the SCons core means
trying to hack even more than is warranted.

I am thinking therefore that abandoning separate tools and working with
a fork of SCons (which is actually now more feasible than it was in the
dark past days of Subversion ;-). I will take a fork of the Mercurial
repository and publish it as SCons_Improved_D on BitBucket. Once things
look reasonable it should then be easy to create a pull request against
SCons mainline's default branch.

Before actually doing this, I am wondering if the new Test framework is
likely to be put in place soon, or whether I should switch everything to
the old way of doing things.

Thanks.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk