[reportlab-users] Status of clipping paths?

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Sat Oct 26 11:15:55 EDT 2013

Andy Robinson:

> Honestly, I have no idea. You'll have to try it and see if it works.

From some experiments I cannot conclude that it does work - pitty! So, I'll have to take D3 coming at my rescue at least for an immediate SVG result like this, which shows more or less what I want to do:

http://www.darwin.in-berlin.de/tmp/venn_d3.html

Adding true clipping to the ReportLab SVG renderer should not be too difficult, though, since SVG knows how to do it, using the <clipPath> element:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/masking.html#EstablishingANewClippingPath

> What little resources we have for "core" development are going 100%

> into the Python 3.3-compatible version at the moment and we are a long

> way from worrying about the rendering and graphics primitives right

> now. I'll post separately on that in a little while, but the good

> part is that, once we get most of the test suite running, we will be

> able to consider changes/improvements to fundamentals like this for

> the first time in about 13 years...

Well, there is always too much to do...

Regards,

Dinu