[reportlab-users] OTF fonts supported by Reportlab?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Jul 23 12:48:54 EDT 2013

Mike Driscoll wrote:

> After writing a tutorial on fonts in Reportlab, I got a comment asking

> if OTF fonts are supported. So far, I've found conflicting information.

OTF files are an odd beast. You can have OTF files that actually
contain TrueType font data, and you can have OTF files that actually
contain PostScript Type 2 font data. I know ReportLab supports TrueType
OTF files. I don't know that it supports PostScript OTF files.

> While this one says that if the font uses CFF format, Reportlab will

> spit out an error:

OTF/CFF fonts were not allowed in PDF files at all until PDF version
1.6, and I'm not sure ReportLab supports that.

> Is there a way to make Reportlab accept this font or fonts like it?

Submit a patch? ;)

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.