[reportlab-users] Python 3.x progress

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Dec 4 06:02:55 EST 2013

On 4 December 2013 10:53, Dinu Gherman <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Assuming you don't want to provide a seperate package for Python 2 anymore, you might want to consider to package additional tools like Pythonpoint as, well... additional tools. I remember in ancient times there was the idea to provide an extension mechanism for reportlab, much like Sphinx does today, but apparently that never materialized.

The idea is for ReportLab 3.0 to run from one code base across Python
2.7 and 3.3+. (We're starting on 3.3 only but will make a pass
through using some compatibility tweaks, maybe 'six', maybe a few
imports of our own).

So Pythonpoint either leaves the package or it we have to port it now,
with totally new parser technology and will cause character level
compatibility issues.

So it's much better IMHO to drop it, get our package into alpha
testing, then rebuild it later using lxml.etree as the parser - if
anyone still cares and uses it.

Ditto with the autogenerated references you helped to write. These
things are basically demos, and they use horribly old technology where
Python has much better solutions now. So it's silly IMHO to do even
more work to keep them 'as is', and much more fun to try and replace
them with the best we can.

As for an extension format: surely these days we should be aiming for simply
"easy_install pythonpoint"
which depends on 'reportlab >= 3.0' ?

Is anything more needed?

- Andy