[reportlab-users] Installing ReportLab on Mac

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Jan 2 09:41:39 EST 2009

2009/1/2 Dirk Holtwick <dirk.holtwick at gmail.com>:

> Just to drop another name into the round I would like to suggest to have a

> look on "pip" ;) Maybe this could at least be a solution for some dependency

> troubles.

> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip

This actually looks to me like a big step in the right direction. I
wish setuptools had worked this way from day one. And if it got
popular we could add a 'setup_pip.py'. But we won't worry about it
for our 2.3 release. I'm taking the view that having a distutils
"setup.py" is the python standard until Guido says otherwise; but we
will happily include alternatives contributed by others for them to
use at their own risk.

IMHO "Real Men" unzip the package, put it on their path, and know what
extensions they are compiling. Unix should seek to educate the
developer. Sadly there are very few left.

- Andy