[reportlab-users] Installing ReportLab on Mac

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Jan 2 08:56:58 EST 2009

2009/1/2 Reed L. O'Brien <Reed.L.OBrien at nasa.gov>:

> setuptools?

Aaarrggghhhh! First working day of 2009 and we're back in that
dreadful discussion ;-) Guido

For everyone who likes setuptools, others dislike it for equally good
reasons. I think distutils sucks too, but some very major
repackagers (Ubuntu) prefer the classic distutils script.

For now we are trying to help both camps. If you get the subversion
code, there is a main 'setup.py' which uses distutils; and an
alternative 'setup_egg.py' for anyone who prefers to built distros
with setuptools. We have put less effort into the latter and if any
volunteers want to do things to it, feel free.

- Andy