[reportlab-users] problem with PIL 1.1.7 and ReportLab 2.2

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Dec 11 13:22:17 EST 2009

Adrian Klaver <aklaver at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Friday 11 December 2009 2:58:05 am Robin Becker wrote:

> > > Does anyone happen to know if calling load() before split() works in

> > > all the older versions of PIL out there? I don't want to fix 1.1.7

> > > and simultaneously break support for some earlier 1.1.x...

> > perhaps we should just check the version or for actual existence of the

> > loaded part before issuing an unwanted load.

> Not to steal Bills thunder but it might be advisable to wait, see here:

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/2009-December/006023.html

Unfortunately, PIL 1.1.7 final is out, and widely distributed. I'm sure
1.1.8 will eventually have a fix for this, but ReportLab will still
continue to break when combined with the buggy 1.1.7. Just calling
load() in the ReportLab code before calling split() should work fine for
all versions of PIL.

Bill