[reportlab-users] question about keepWithNext and multibuild

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Sep 23 11:02:26 EDT 2008

adam hyde wrote:

> hi Robin,

> Thanks for the update. Its good to hear the situation, I'm not entirely

> sure I understand the technical issue but I will talk to a friend that

> is a python programmer to see if he can take a look at it.

> Is there any way that you can think of to generate a TOC without

> multibuild? I was wondering if it is possible to record the placement of

> headings, and build the TOC at the end of the process. I'm sorry if this

> is a naive suggestion, my understanding of python is not too deep. If

> you have any suggestion on how we could do it without multipass I would

> happily try some experiments and report back.

> adam

For simple documents where it's possible to work out how long the TOC is before
passing through the document you can put a pdf form reference and then build
up the contents of the form as the single pass proceeds. At the end of the story
prior to the build you need to instantiate the form so the eventual PDF
forward reference can succeed.
--
Robin Becker