[reportlab-users] More 2.2 questions - package rearrangement

Dirk Holtwick dirk.holtwick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 12:34:35 EDT 2008

Andy Robinson schrieb:

> Not sure about reportlab/fonts. If people want it to work "out of the box"

> with the bitmap graphics then we must include a specific set of base fonts

> where the code can always find them. If people unzip to a temporary

> directory and

> run 'setup.py install', they want a library that "just works" - this includes

> making a chart, adding some text and saving it to a .png.

But as you mentioned before these are features of a somewhat "extended"
reportlab version that also needs PIL and renderPM I suppose? Are they
really needed there or are they just needed by the tests and demos? If
the fonts are not essential to the toolkit I would vote for putting them
somewhere else...

A practical example is Google App Engine: they just allow 1000 files to
be uploaded. Okay, this will change some day and it can be worked around
easily, but for most users it will be difficult to find out which files
are really needed by reportlab and which are not.

Maybe the best would be to put them not in the reportlab directory and
give a warning (and a hint where to find them) if the files are needed
but missing ;)

Dirk