[reportlab-users] ReportLab / Python 3000

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Mar 12 06:40:19 EDT 2008

Tim Roberts wrote:

> Andy Robinson wrote:

>> Prompted by Dinu's reminder on releases, I would like to get some

>> opinions on Python 3.0.

>> I'm curious to know if anyone here has plans to move rapidly onto

>> Python 3.0? It's now in alpha 2 and slated for release this summer,

>> although not many other libraries are following suit.

I have started with a branch of the reportlab trunk code for python 3. I used
the 2to3 tool and then started with the tests. All failures. After two days of
effort I can just about import canvas, but still nothing works.

There is a real problem here related to the way we do things. In 3 all strings
are unicode so that eases one whole class of problems ie we get rid of all the
conversions involving utf8 in the various front end bits. On the other hand all
output has to be in bytes so literally every piece of output needs to be
converted. The question is where? Should the conversions be done close to the
creation or only on output?
--
Robin Becker