[reportlab-users] Python 3000

Paul Barrass paul.barrass at safeonlinebilling.com
Fri Dec 5 06:35:16 EST 2008

Andy Robinson wrote:

> <with snippage>

> (a) the present codebase running on 2.3 to 2.6.

> (b) a Python 3.0 port which aims to present the same behaviour

> (c) a Python 3.0 port which aims to deprecate any stuff we don't need [...] in no rush.

> Does anyone here think (b) is worth pursuing to production quality,

> given that we have limited resources, and time spent on it would cut

> into time spent on (c)

For my usage (on an existing project), which I'd think was fairly
typical, I'd have thought that any of your time spent working on the (b)
option at the expense of the (c) option would be wasted. I'd have
thought that, with the backwards-incompatibility of Python itself, it
would be better moving from Python 2.x/RL 2.x to Python 3.x/RL 3.x than
2/2 -> 3/2 -> 3/3.

Of course, any new projects starting using Python 3.0 would be stuck,
unable to use RL3, and there existing no RL2 - so I guess it depends on
how long until RL3 is production ready, and how soon the early adopters
will want it.

I haven't looked at porting my own code yet, so I'm not really in a
position to comment on how much work is involved, so my above comments
are based on your earlier comments in the list.

Paul Barrass.