[reportlab-users] keepWithNext problem

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Nov 2 13:20:38 EDT 2007

Wietse Jacobs wrote:

> Hello,

> First of all, thanks for a great toolkit! I've only recently started

> using ReportLab so I'm still trying to figure things out.

> I've isolated a problem that I have. When I execute the following

> script:

I always hated keepWith next; this is a bug as presumably we shouldn't. Are you
really trying to keep a paragraph and a Drawing together? If so I think you need
to use some other kind of container as Drawings are normally particularly nasty
about what things can be set on them. Now fixed in SVN (or perhaps a different
bug is introduced)

> from reportlab.platypus import *

> from reportlab.lib.styles import ParagraphStyle

> from reportlab.graphics.shapes import Drawing, Rect

> normal = ParagraphStyle(name='Normal',

> fontName='Helvetica',

> fontSize=8.5,

> leading=11)

> header = ParagraphStyle(name='Heading1',

> parent=normal,

> fontSize=14,

> leading=19,

> spaceAfter=6,

> keepWithNext=1)

> d = Drawing(400, 200)

> d.add(Rect(50, 50, 300, 100))

> story = [Paragraph("The section header", header), d]

> doc = SimpleDocTemplate('test.pdf')

> doc.build(story)

Robin Becker