[reportlab-users] RML Reference

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Apr 16 08:50:16 EDT 2007

On Monday 16 April 2007 07:41, Jorge Godoy wrote:

> I've seen something like that at your SVN repos...  And I'm a (very

> satisfied!) user of z3c.rml.  Thanks! :-)

Great! That's good to hear!

> What I miss in this document is an index.  It would be easier to search

> with an index or even a summary...  (This is "urgent", to enhance the

> document.)

Are you printing the document? If so, could you give me a sample on how you
would like the contents of the index to look like?

If you only use it via Acrobat Reader or KPDF, then you can now open
the "Bookmarks" and you will get a list of all directives. You can click on
them and jump directly to the documentation.

> Also, I know that the document already has 60 pages, but adding some of

> the examples output would make it even more useful.  Maybe one example

> for each thing so that we can actually "see" the result without having

> to write code ourselves. (This is one of the "last things" to do, but

> would be helpful.)

Actually, my friend with whom I worked during the weekend on the enhancements
asked for the same thing. Initially I had a pretty good idea on how to do it,
but diving deeper into it, I noticed how few directives could actually have a
meaningful output within the documentation.

So here is a compromize. Now that I also uploaded the expected PDF output of
the tests, I have actually created a public location for the rendered files.
I have just checked in a new version of the RML reference that makes out of
the example information line a link to the URL of the rendered PDF. This way
you can see the output without writing the code yourself, which seemed to be
your goal.

(Actually, you did not need to write out the example beforehand either, since
all the files used for the examples are located in z3c/rml/tests/input.)

> Thanks for your time on z3c.rml.

You are welcome!

Regards,
Stephan