[reportlab-users] Install help for the python newbie

Scott Karlin scott+reportlab at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jan 14 20:22:14 EST 2005

I'm having trouble installing ReportLab on a WinXP Pro box.
Here's what I did:

* Installed Python 2.4 in C:\Python24

* Did not install PIL as there was no version for Python 2.4

* Copied reportlab directory to C:\Python24\reportlab

* Added C:\Python24 to %PATH%

* Created C:\Python24\reportlab.pth containing the line
     c:/Python24/ReportLab

* Opened Command Prompt and ran "python test_pdfgen_general.py"
     C:\Python24\reportlab\test>python test_pdfgen_general.py
     .
     Ran 1 test in 0.140s

     OK

     C:\Python24\reportlab\test>

   However, there is was no .pdf file created so I suspect that
   there is trouble.

* I was able to create a hw.py file:
     from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas
     from reportlab.lib.units import cm
     c = canvas.Canvas("hello.pdf")
     c.drawString(9*cm, 22*cm, "Hello World!")
     c.showPage()
     c.save()
   Double-clicking on this .py file created a correct hello.pdf file.

My questions are:
    * Have I installed ReportLab (sans PIL) correctly?
    * How do I run the test_pdfgen_general.py?
    * Do I need to worry about the setup.py file in reportlab?
      (I suspect it's used to install the library but there
      was no of it mention in the user's guide.)

Thanks,
Scott