[Spam] [reportlab-users] RE: Visual editor: what are the objectives?

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sat Dec 3 18:38:46 EST 2005

> I propose a Dynamic Report Toll which one will produce  RL Python file
> as output. A import feature could be added later.
>
> Maybe a function, receiving the dynamic content as parameters and
> producing a PDF file as a output solves this.
>
> Later on, we could expand the tool's capabilities, accepting more
> formats generating more formats and so on.
>
> It could be to Python what the Jasper Report is to Java.
>
> This will exactly what I need.

I agree with these goals - and I think of all the GUI toolkits,
wxPython is the one I am happiest with.   For me the key factor
is that it installs without problems on all the key platforms - in fact
I've just discovered wxPython is preinstalled on Mac OS Tiger.

Fernando, how do you want to start?  Do you know enough to
get something running which others can work on later?  Would you like
this to work as a subdirectory of our distribution and to have a
subversion account?

I also have a lot of ideas about how future versions of Reportlab
could work better with a GUI, and about the intermediate file formats
it might need to create. But it would be nice to know a project was
starting before I make lots of promises...

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson