[reportlab-users] Is ReportLab suitable for this task?

Jerome Alet reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:46:41 +0100

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 04:54:10PM -0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
> > And, did you print this 13,000 page PDF?  If so, did you do
> > it with Acrobat or send it directly to the printer or
> > something else?

Problem is, if I can say it this way, that the client seems to have
just realized that to print each page, put each one of them
individually inside an enveloppe and send it via snail mail, all
this has a cost...

Which he currently doesn't want to pay...

;-)

FYI, here are the informations :

    13470 pages
    11765621 bytes      (873 bytes per page)

 The logo on each page is 16 kb, forms make it counted only once

 There are three fonts in different colors (black, blue, red,
 and white on black) (don't laugh!)

 Time to generate the PDF document (I was a bit wrong, sorry)

        real : 301.78           (44.6 pages/sec)
        user : 227.13
        sys : 7.67

 Time to launch Acrobat 5 and load the file first time : 13 Seconds
 Time to launch Acrobat 5 and load the file second time : 4 Seconds

    Processor : PII 350 Mhz
    RAM : 288 Mb
    Operating System : GNU/Linux

The program normally does a SELECT * with no WHERE clause, to load all
records, then for each page there's an UPDATE statement, which I've
moved into another loop, so the time above is the full
time to generate the PDF document, with all the SQL queries.

the PDF generation part only took 216 seconds, i.e. 62 pages/sec

hoping this helps

bye

Jerome Alet
--
"A non-free program is a predatory social system that keeps people
in a state of domination and division, and uses the spoils to