[reportlab-users] an idea...

Barry, Christopher reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:36:03 -0500

here's a thought, maybe already done.

a twain app that scans a form and generates the reportlab python code =
automatically. Or at least roughs it out. has this been done yet?  this =
would be very useful.

here's how I see it could work. it's a kde app. scan the image. it =
displays in an editing window. the edit window shows coordinate values =
in red at every point it understands. an algorithm attempts to vectorize =
the entire thing. raster lines can be selected and manually =
[vector|bezier]ized. endpoints can be moved and snapped onto a sizeable =
grid. various lines, shapes and images can be added/deleted. fields are =
created and assigned. labels placed. ReportLab FormCAD. outputs to PDF =
directly or to the python code to create the form with user supplied =
data. basically a forms designer, with raster to vector capability for =
pulling in legacy pre-printed forms via scanner.

I don't have a lot of forms designer experience. can others already do =
this?

I never liked crystal and vb and all that anyway...

--
Christopher Barry
Manager of Information Systems