[reportlab-users] Hyphenation survey (Silbentrennung)

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:28:51 +0200

Henning von Bargen:

> Q1) How much do your RL applications need hyphenation support,
>     in a range 0-5:

    4  The lack of hyphenation support kept me from taking RL into
       consideration for some projects.

> Q2) What languages do you use in your applications (I mean natural
>     languages like English, German,..., not programming languages).

Mostly German/English, some French/Spanish/Italian (rarely), perhaps
some Romanian, soon.

> Q3) What kind of applications do you use RL for?

    2 High-quality database reporting - generate output for
end-customers,
      like certificates etc. (including company logo, some flow text and
      perhaps some tabular data).
    3 Presentations (i.e. with PythonPoint)
    4 Documentation (i.e. with ReST), mainly flow text,
      perhaps with some images, charts, and tables.
    6 High-quality brochures, electronic newspapers etc, using complex
      layout, images, charts, tables, etc.
    7 Generating invoices, labels etc. (writing some data into a
pre-defined
      form - typically without using Platypus)
    8 Only charts and graphics (you should have answered 0 to Q1, then)
      >> Your remark in paranthesis is not quite true since you can
benefit
      >> from hyphenation also in chart labels, titles, etc.
    9 Not listed here (you can give a short description, if you like)
      >> GUI-like onscreen rendering (no joke), dynamic web graphics,
      >> SVG generation

> Q4) What are your requirements on correctness and speed of an automatic
>    hyphenation routine?

    3 High quality is important, but it shouldn't take longer than
2s/page.
      >> except for onscreen rendering, maybe

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman - http://python.net/~gherman
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." (Alan Kay)