[reportlab-users] Importing PDF into PythonPoint!?

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:11:16 +0100

Hi,

for a presentation I'll be giving soon I wanted PythonPoint to be
able to display single pages of PDF documents, so I added an ex-
perimental feature to my local version of it. Now I don't have to
switch anymore beween different files during the presentation and
people can download it in one chunk, too, while zooming into it
as they like. Here's an example:

   http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/rlzope-samples.pdf

I'm sort of surprised how useful this is, despite the fact that
the API is not fully finalised. For now, what I have is a flowable
that displays one or several pages in a single row, but a fixed
graphic like <fixedimage> might also make sense. So the current
tag looks like this:

   <pageimage width="283" height="400"
              filename="sample20.pdf"
              pagenumbers="0,5"
              caption="some text"/>

Clearly, there are many potential options for laying out groups
of pages and what not... I also envision a feature to display on-
ly an enlarged subarea of a page using the canvas' clipping mecha-
nism.

Before I just mindlessly rush off, and given that one needs the
commercial PageCatcher extension to really use this, I'll ask
here in public how much interest people would actually have in
this? I know only of Apple's brandnew Keynote which is supposed
to let you import PDF, too:  http://www.apple.com/keynote

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"Of course America had often been discovered before Columbus,