[reportlab-users] What is the current status of Truetype support?

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:43:43 +0100

> What is the current status of TrueType support?

Right now you can use TrueType fonts in PDF generation,
if you call registerFont.  Look at
   reportlab/test/test_pdfbase_ttfonts.py

The API is not exactly the same as for Type 1, but once
you register them it works.  However there is a deficiency
with declaring 'font families' so it can automatically
do the right things with <b>, <i> and so on. We hope to
fix this within 6 weeks or so.

What Robin referred to is including TrueType in bitmap
output from reportlab/graphics.  It's very important to
our customers to be able to get the same chart or diagram
with identical text metrics on all platforms and output
devices, and we need a bigger change to support TrueType
in bitmaps (using freetype) and to consistently locate
the right font files on all common platforms.  But PDF
should be fine right now.  It's also covered in
the user guide in recent versions.

thanks,

Andy Robinson