[reportlab-users] PDF "optimization"

Ian Sparks reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:39:40 -0500

One solution would be to create the repeating portions using=20
the beginForm, endForm, and doForm methods.
<<

Jeff has a good point. In fact, I just modified our PDF generation =
process to make use of this facility and can report that it cut between =
25-50% from the size of the PDF files and about 50% off the =
canvas.save() time.

I'm sure I'd be able to reduce the file-sizes further if I made use of =
textobject instead of relying on drawString. That's something I'll have =
to explore this week.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Bauer [mailto:jbauer@rubic.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 6:52 AM
To: reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Subject: RE: [reportlab-users] PDF "optimization"

Andy,

I'll add one other possibility.  If the report is a multi-page
document with a lot of repeating layout (e.g. my contributed
HCFA1500 form), the client could be complaining that it's taking=20
too long to load.

One solution would be to create the repeating portions using=20
the beginForm, endForm, and doForm methods.  This can make=20
quite a difference if it's suitable for Ian's particular
document.

master-of-the-obvious-ly yr's

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon Research

[Ian queries:]
>> Hi, I have a client who has complained that their PDF's=20
>> are not "optimized".

[Andy replies:]