[reportlab-users] Experience with new-style paragraphs?

Sat, 12 Oct 2002 18:33:19 +0100

In article <1034441418.3da852ca051f3@webmail.in-berlin.de>, Dinu Gherman
<gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de> writes
>Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>:
>
>> .... I tried it out on many examples and apart from some compatibility
>> problems it seems fine. I think there were minor differences in the way
>> lines end up, but probably nothing short of a full tex box model is
>> going to do a great deal better. It's certainly hard to do widows and
>> orphans as it is very lazy and stops as soon as an overflow is
>> detected.
>
>I'm pretty concerned about that. Using the old (standard) para-
>graph it is already sort of impossible to get it right automati-
>cally and in all cases as I've outlined before. To me it is very
>distracting to see text with headlines at the bottom of a frame
>etc. (or is this a different problem?) and I'm surprised people
>don't seem to care.
>
>Dinu
..... widows and orphans are about a single paragraph, but the heading
problem is the same sort of thing. If we had a real box/glue model all
those sorts of problems would sort of vanish away, but we'd need to
allow a more general layout model.
--
Robin Becker