[meteorite-list] Destruction of the Hopewell civilization

E.P. Grondine epgrondine at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 18:22:23 EDT 2023

Hi Anne, everyone -
When I did my survey of native memories for "Man and Impact in the Americas" (now $50 used, thank you. I wrote a collectable. Best wishes to all of you who invested in a copy.) I hit no mention of Tankersley et al.'s event.
None.
It looks to me like they are finding out of sequence deposits, and/or materials from the 534 CE Encke fly-by.
No question but the Shawnee had access via their trade network to Brenham as well as anything else that came down.
What is "funny" to me is that so far very few people have stumbled into the relatively recent smaller impacts. The way I look at that is "any decade now".
For about $30,000 or so I could go to Chicago and take another look to see if Tankersley et al.'s impact event shows up.  I doubt if it will.
In other news, I have recovered a Yazoo sculpture from near my house in Vicksburg. I may have to sell it to buy a car. Anyone here work with an auction house? Mississippian sculptures are so rare that there is no standard market price range.
good hunting everyoneEd E.P. Grondine