[meteorite-list] Destruction of the Hopewell civilization

Ioannis Baziotis ibaziotis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:26:40 EDT 2023

Dear Anne,

There is another article by Nolan et al., published on Scientific Reports
(NPG) (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-39866-0) entitled: "*Refuting
the sensational claim of a Hopewell-ending cosmic airburst*" who conclude
the following:

While not a comprehensive review of all of the issues with Tankersley et
al.’s “Hopewell airburst event,” this brief summary demonstrates the
systematic flaws in the analysis and interpretation of archaeological data,
chronological data, and cosmic geochemistry. We find that their
presentation and argument:

1. Does not support claims of a catastrophic regional burning,
2. Does not demonstrate their evidence is, in fact, synchronous,
3. Does not demonstrate that microspherules are related to meteorites,
4. Mistakenly claims that pallasite fragments could have originated in
comets, and
5. Does not provide evidence for a widespread decline in Hopewell culture.

In short, their observations fail to demonstrate any aspect of this cosmic
catastrophe.

Best Regards,

Baziotis Ioannis
Ioannis Baziotis ibaziotis at aua.gr
Associate Professor of Mineralogy and Petrology
Laboratory of Mineralogy and Geology
Agricultural University of Athens
75 Iera Odos St., Athens, 11855 Greece
(+30)-210-529-4155; (+30)-6975967914
Personal site: http://ibaziotis.wix.com/ioannis-baziotis
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Στις Πέμ 28 Σεπ 2023 στις 5:21 μ.μ., ο/η Anne Black via Meteorite-list <
meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com> έγραψε: