[meteorite-list] CNEOS1 2014-01-08 hunt in P.N.G. Harvard physicist Avi Loeb is organizing a $1.5 million expedition

Mark Hammergren mhammergren at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 10:30:04 EDT 2023

Agreed on all points. This is worse than nonsense: Avi Loeb and his
tabloid-quality antics make a mockery of SETI and astrobiology. Public and
congressional ridicule of a "search for little green men" doomed the NASA
High Resolution Microwave Survey in the early 90's. It would have surveyed
the sky in millions of frequencies using the Arecibo radio telescope,
partially for SETI purposes, and was already funded and running after a
decade of development. I worked with people who were employed in that
project and who had the rug pulled out from under their feet with
essentially no warning. Some had to leave the field of astronomy to find
other employment. Serious SETI research did not recover from that disaster
for more than 20 years.
What will Loeb advocate "studying" next? Chemtrails? HAARP mind control?
Qanon? Disgusting.