[meteorite-list] Loss of Meteorite List Member- Brett Whitenack February 22, 1963 — June 18, 2023 OBIT. R.I.P.

drtanuki drtanuki at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 09:38:09 EDT 2023

Dear List,
  I just received some sad and shocking news about the passing of Brett Whitenack, Curator of the McPherson, KS Museum.  He will be greatly missed by many. I have know him for more than 23 years through the Met-List, and as the Adjunct Curator of the McPherson Museum meteorite collection to which I was appointed over 10 years ago.
  Brett always was a positive outgoing person even if things were not going smoothly he showed his encouragement that all will work out. God Bless.
  Brett, take care my good friend. I will miss you.
Dirk Ross
Adjunct Curator of Meteoritic Collections
McPherson Museum
McPherson, Kansas

Brett Whitenack
February 22, 1963 — June 18, 2023
McPherson, KS

Brett Whitenack, 60, of McPherson, KS, passed away peacefully after a short battle with cancer on Sunday, June 18, 2023, surrounded by family at Ascension Via Christi-St. Francis RMC, Wichita.  Brett worked full time as a Curator and Director of Daily Operations for the McPherson Museum since 1997.

Since 1980, he was a member of the McPherson Gem & Mineral Club and currently was the web master and historian. He was the Vice President of the Kansas Academy of Science. He attained membership to the Honor Society of the Tri-Beta Biological Science Iota Chapter in 2008.  He worked with 4-H Clubs by attending rock field trips and gave talks about rocks and fossils to the schools and clubs around the McPherson area. For many years, he led tours at the McPherson Museum for school kids.   Brett received the Burkholder Research Award from McPherson College for outstanding achievement in student research in the Natural Sciences.

A memorial service will be held at 2:00 PM, Saturday, July 8, 2023, at the McPherson Museum with Rev. Kathryn Whitacre officiating.  The final resting place will be at the Monticello Cemetery in Shawnee, KS.