[meteorite-list] Terrestrial meteorite

drtanuki drtanuki at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 10:21:58 EDT 2023

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2022/pdf/6294.pdf

NORTHWEST AFRICA 13188: A METEORITE FROM THE EARTH? V. Debaille1 , J. Gattacceca2 , J. Roland1,3, R. Braucher2 , B. Devouard2 , I. Leya4 , A. Jambon5 , H. Pourkhorsandi1 , S. Goderis3 1Laboratoire G-Time, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium (vinciane.debaille at ulb.be); 2CEREGE, Université Aix-Marseilles, France; 3AMGC, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium; 4Space and Planetary Science, Universität Bern, Bern, Switzerland; 5Sorbonne Université, Paris, France Meteorites are usually first identified visually by their fusion crust before more detailed analyses (mineralogical observations, elemental concentrations, isotope compositions, …) enable to propely assign them to a specific meteorite group. Based on the observation of a fusion crust, texture and mineralogy, NWA 13188 was classified as an ungrouped achondrite [1]. This single stone was purchased by AJ from a Moroccan meteorite dealer at Ste Marie aux Mines Mineral Show in June 2018. It is an igneous rock with overall subophitic texture and typical silicate grain size of 350 µm. The mineralogy is dominated by plagioclase (49 vol%) and pyroxene (26 vol%), as well as fine-grained mesosta-sis of plagioclase, pyroxene (18 vol% of the mesostasis), accessory FeTi oxides and glass. Vesicles with typical size 250 µm represent 8 vol% of the rock. No metal is observed. ...

Northwest Africa 13188
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=71664