[meteorite-list] NomCom name change for Squaw Creek iron meteorite

Mendy Ouzillou mendy.ouzillou at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 08:34:55 EST 2023

I am sending this email on behalf of Dr. Rhiannon Mayne - Curator of the
Monnig Collection at TCU (Fort Worth, Texas)

"The nomenclature committee voted last week to change the name of the
meteorite "Squaw Creek," which I only type out fully here so it can be
identified and will now use "Sq--w." This is the result of a request by Tim
McCoy after the Board of Geographic Names of the Department of the Interior
voted on Sept. 8, 2022 to remove the term "sq--w" from all U.S. geographic
features. The new name is "Comanche Creek Reservoir." TCU holds the main
mass and I will change our database this week, but I wanted to pass it along
in case any of you also have to update your records.

Best,

Rhiannon"