[meteorite-list] High-certainty meteorite fall on Muskogee, OK

Fries, Marc D. (JSC-XI211) marc.d.fries at nasa.gov
Fri Jan 20 23:17:59 EST 2023

Greetings

              It appears that this event on AMS resulted in a meteorite fall:

https://ams.imo.net/members/imo_view/event/2023/374

              The event occurred at 03:38:50 AM local time on 20 January 2023, or 0938:50 UTC. It appears in GLM data and in data from four separate NEXRAD radars showing signatures of falling meteorites. The bolide traveled from NW to SE starting off east of Tulsa and terminating over Muskogee. Tomorrow I will generate a NASA Meteorite Falls web page for this event complete with a computed strewn field, in the meantime you can visit my Twitter account for first-draft radar images of the fall (Marc Fries, @warrantyviolatr - not a NASA account!).

              The most massive meteorites probably landed east of the Muskogee airport along a line extending to the SE. Winds were out of the SW, so smaller meteorites (100s of grams and less) landed in the southern end of Muskogee extending towards the NW.  This will be a roughly banana-shaped strewn field with the large end extending towards the SE and smaller meteorites extending towards the NE.

              More to come in the morning...

Good luck!
Marc Fries