[meteorite-list] Leonard David FYI: damage hand magnets used by amateurs do to meteorites (PDF of Preprint)

Keith Hicks kahicks at q-net.net.au
Thu Apr 13 05:06:42 EDT 2023

 I'm a little surprised  no-one has touched on the subject of employing
the use of a compass needle as a semi-diagnostic tool in the field.The
late Dr Alex Bevan of WAM introduced this to me when I first started
hunting meteorites in the early 1990's and I have carried a compass in my
field kit ever since.The sensitivity of an old fashioned compass needle
to a magnetic field is really quite telling and of course
non-interfering.It's surprising  the different reactions when examining
for instance, two West Australian Eucrites, Millbillillie and Camel Donga
(the latter of which has a. 2-3% iron content).
 Having said all this I do appreciate that an old fashioned compass would
not necessarily be carried by all in this modern era of GPS navigation
which first became operational with a full constellation of 24 satellites
from about 1993 and later available via cellphone from about 1999.
 As an aside and given the availability and use of modern phone/camera/gps
devices, it would be nice to see more data captured and shared from DCA's
 , although I'm not holding my breath in expectation!

Regards, Keith H.

This issue is not new. I’ve not read the article, but I’m willing to