[meteorite-list] Fredricksburg TX event 29 Jan 2022

Fries, Marc D. (JSC-XI211) marc.d.fries at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 18 20:24:51 EDT 2022

Howdy all

              We've had a bunch of fireballs with dozens of AMS eyewitness reports over the last couple of months.  In going back over them I found a really nice one that escaped my notice:

https://fireball.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2022/740

              The videos of this event show an exceptionally long-lasting fireball (~14s) with pronounced fragmentation.  It appears that multiple objects slow down towards the end of the fireball. This appears to be a good candidate for a meteorite fall.

              Searching the radar data yielded some interesting signatures ~35km NW of Fredricksburg, TX on the KGRK, KEWX, KDYX, and KSJT radars.  None are especially strong but they seem to cluster.  I cannot find any pronounced surface features, windmill farms, radio towers, or other reflectors at this site.  I will draw up a NASA Meteorite Falls page for this event and share images once I'm happy with the data refinement.  In the meanwhile, could y'all have a look?  This one may be promising.  There is a signature on KSJT in the 1.49 degree sweep, 0602 data set, which appears only 40s after the fireball terminus.  Jormungandr calculates that it corresponds to a/an 11.1kg meteorite(s).

Cheers,
Marc Fries